Six ways of Story Telling Helps Children Learn
Stories are popular in all languages and every culture in the world use stories and folklore to pass on the wisdom of the ages.Everybody, irrespective of age, loves to hear a good story.
Kids love fun, creative ways of learning and they especially love it when concepts are taught with interactive story-telling. Story-telling is one of the oldest forms of teaching and can be introduced at a very young age.
Here are few ways in which story-telling helps a child to learn -
- Engagement: Story – telling is a great way to engage children and to explain to them how things work.Children get inspired by stories and that leads them to ask questions and build conversation – all through the means of a story.
- Pace of Learning: Story-telling can be fictitious, mythological, real-life experiences or just re-telling of facts in an interesting manner. Stories can help children learn in a way and at the pace that they are comfortable.They can also glean more and ask to hear stories on topics they like again and again - making them effective tools of repetition, rather than textbook style, rote learning.Story-telling initiates writing skills among the children as they start wanting to tell their own stories.
- Real-world exposure: Good narration and animated story-telling interests children.Often stories can be told with a lesson or learning for children – like Red Riding Hood conveys that it’s dangerous to talk to strangers; Stories of Mahatma Gandhi talk about always speaking the truth etc.Stories help children connect with the real world, respect and appreciate others.
- Learning about World Culture- Through good stories children learn about their own traditions and cultures and they attain knowledge about other people’s cultures and tradition.
- Enhances attention: Children pay attention to good narration and this enhances their listening skills and vocabulary.They learn new words, consider new ideas and communicate their thoughts and feelings confidently.
- Makes learning portable: Stories can be narrated anytime, at any place, making learning easy and hassle free. Children can be asked questions related to the story, asked the meanings of the words narrated.